HOW DO YOU GET WORK done without depleting your energy, spirit and creativity?
1. Remove roadblocks. 2. Increase energy. 3. Focus actions.
- Cancel all unnecessary meetings. Those that are necessary, use them to make key decisions not just exchange information.
- Clear the decks of things you’re avoiding: The difficult conversation with the boss or saying no to the project you know you can’t complete. Avoidance consumes a lot of mental energy.
- Check email only twice a day. It takes over 15 minutes to regain focus after an email interruption.
- Post your calendar and show when you’re available for impromptu meetings.
Increase Energy. The higher your energy, the more productive, creative, clear thinking you become.
- Take a walk during one-on-one meetings. Energy and brain functions come alive with even a little exercise.
- If you can, work in a space that inspires you.
- Institute “no talk Thursday afternoons”. Notice how much work gets done and energy increases during this weekly afternoon of no interruptions.
Focus Actions. Schedule important but not urgent activities first. Also:
- Do important work at inspiring locations.
- Conduct an inventory of all your responsibilities and identify tasks you can delegate.
- Reset expectations. Seldom is there enough time and resources to get all that needs to get done. Sustainable productivity occasionally means having to say no.