IF YOU BELIEVE FRIENDSHIPS, marriages, teams and companies grow and die one conversation at a time then everyone should make effective communication a top priority. And if that were to happen, we have to get really good at managing conflict.
Here is the conflict resolution action plan, affectionately referred to as CRAP.
- When conflict arises between two parties the one with the issue will first attempt to go directly to the person with whom they have the conflict.
- When a third party is needed to be involved for counsel or clarification, the third party will only be used as a sounding board.
- To deal with one issue at a time until completion is achieved. Listen. Acknowledge others’ point of view and request acknowledgment if needed.
- Ask questions to get the whole story.
- Speak only for yourself.
- Ask for permission before giving feedback.
- Resolve for a win/win solution.
- Confirm acceptance.
The Mount Everest of communication is conflict. Ascending, getting on top of and getting past a tough conflict isn’t easy. But when we create a process for resolving conflict and follow it, we enter into a new level of personal power and possibility. It is here we can express our full potential and make decisions based on benefits not fear, contribution not avoidance.